Sunday, September 24, 2023

A Marathon and a Museum

 Died and gone to heaven this past week...except for the humidity. But you take what you can get.


The Montréal Marathon was held this morning and the runners came right past our apartment building. It made for kind of a loud Sabbath, but it was fun to see.


Sister Diane Clawson and I visited a history museum in Old Port. It’s the Château Ramezay built in 1706.


This is one of the two kitchens. See the wooden wheel in the wall next to the fireplace? It's hooked to the spit and they put a little dog in there to run which turned the spit. Not sure how I feel about using dogs that way.


I did NOT know that the U.S. tried to make the Montréal area a 14th colony!


We had a tour guide dressed in period costume who was a retired chemistry professor from McGill University. The really interesting thing is that he kept throwing in personal family connections to the history of the house and people that he mentioned because his ancestors were connected to the Ramezay family. I left him the website of Family Search before we left.



Is this happening in YOUR neck of the woods too? I love that they're maple  leaves...since I'm in Canada. 


I feel like things are really expensive here in Montréal. This tiny bottle of nail polish, which I needed for a hangnail, put me back $6!!


Friday was transfer day. This photo reminded me of a bunch of teenagers hanging around in Sister L's kitchen. I love that our office secretary, Sister L, creates a warm and welcoming place for our young missionaries in the office. From what I hear, it hasn't always been that way.


Elder B and Elder H visited us at the archives last week on their P-day. I'm sad I never thought to get a good picture of them. But here they are helping Elder H with a new contraption he's building. I had Elder B try a few captures just for fun.


And there he is, Elder B. He's gone now. He "graduated" from the mission. I miss him. There is truly something special about him. He is a magnificent young man.


Who knew that you could use tampons to scrub your sink ?!?


Our parking garage is super dusty. If you don't get a car wash every 2 weeks, the other missionaries decorate your car. I'm happy to report that my car is now much cleaner than in this photo.


A few months ago I started playing the organ for the Mandarin branch. I am not  an organ player. I don't know the first thing about it! I played the piano for a baptism after church today and it felt soooo good to be back on a familiar instrument!!




Running number of captures: 108,295

No comments:

Post a Comment

BE with God

We got another referral for the young missionaries! Another sister missionary and I went out to dinner and the waitress asked about our name...